Thursday, July 29, 2010

REPOST Hurricane Katrina

Sat. 9/10

I woke up this morning feeling very odd. For me feeling a little odd is not unusual, compared to most people, but today I can’t get this story out of my mind. A few months ago I was at a social gathering in Greensboro. A man, very nice looking and well dressed, was visiting and told me a story that continues to linger in my heart and mind. He had been a very successful businessman in Florida. I’m changing the state and his name for his anonymity. He had some personal problems and struggles that he was not dealing with very well. His wife left him and the legal battle began. After a year or so of costly court cases and legal fees, she got half of what he had before the separation. He went into bankruptcy and eventually lost everything. He had little family and no children. He used a “ Liquid Band-aid” to get him through the rough times. He ended up on the streets of Miami. Walking the same streets that he used to drive a 700 series down every morning. He couldn’t afford the coffee shop any longer, nor the bagel store or the café. Months past and he was now living on the street. He would see people he knew and they wouldn’t speak. Strangers would toss him change without him asking for it but would not look at him. He would go to shank someone’s hand and they would not reach out for his. This continued for almost three years. He didn’t have physical contact with anyone else for almost three years. No one spoke his name or look him in the eye with any respect. I can’t imagine not hearing my name for three years. Finally, he said, “ I felt I had one chance left and I had to take it.” He took off the bandage, called some old business vendors, got a job, got a apartment, rode the bus, starting selling for his old competition, got a promotion, got a house, made manager, etc, etc….

Nine years later better of financial than he was before. He said he’d rather not go through it again but he would do it again to keep what he had learned in the past nine years. The best lesson was to look people in the eye when you shake their hand. Did I shake peoples hands yesterday when I was passing out waters? I did for most people but not for all. I did introduce myself and most people said their names back.

Maybe that’s why the story is stuck in my mind. Yesterday, by simply shaking someone’s hand, I could have been breaking a cycle for him or her. My dad, Allen, he died in June, was known for his handshake and smile. Today, I'll make shaking hands as important as the “Big Stuff".

It’s after 9:00am and I’m running late. I’ll write later.


It’s later and I’m exhausted. I hauled debris for a local neighbor today. I saw them working on the street and asked if they needed help. Of course they said yes. It’s a really nice feeling when people asked me if I’m from here. I say no, I’m just here to help. They usually hug me or say something nice about North Carolinians. A man today said to me “you must have a great mom and dad.” I said “ Sure do” Nite dad

No comments:

Post a Comment