Thursday, July 29, 2010

REPOST Hurricane Katrina

Weds. 9.7.05

It’s a beautiful day in Mobile. That’s good thing considering the number of damage from Katrina and the number of people without proper shelter just to the south of us.

I got up this morning about 6:00am and found a wonderful surprise waiting for me at my front door. Sam, the dog I found the day before, was still sleeping just where I had left him the night before. I was so excited that I almost broke his back hugging him. I had found a few places through the yellow pages to hit for volunteer work and I call them. The first one was All Saint Episcopal on Government Ave. They were fantastic. They happen to be located just 2 blocks from where I am staying so Sam and I could walk it, no trouble.
I arrived about five minutes before morning Communion service so things were a little busy. They ask me if I wanted to take communion, being Presbyterian I wasn’t sure it that was OK, “ Sure, why not” was the response I got from 3 ladies in unison. Sam was taken to the office to relax in air-conditioned luxury and enjoy some cold water. I suspect that was a treat he had not experienced in quite a long time. The priest spoke on the “Showing of one’s face to the deep”, deep meaning chaos and face meaning beliefs. That to face the deep (chaos) in your life you much stand and believe that clam and order are possible.
I needed to hear that and knew I was where I was supposed to be. After communion, I returned to the church office to find Sam had stolen the show. The office manager found Sam a good home with a large back yard, Brenda had offered to loan me a bike for the week and hooked me up with the Volunteer Mobile center. I was a happy camper.

It took about an hour to ride to the Emergency Distribution Center on Interstate 10, four groups including the American Red Cross. If I didn’t know God had me were he wanted me, I doubt I would have been riding that old bike on Government Ave, four lane no less. The distribution center is an old Sam’s Club converted just for Katrina. I signed in and was immediately assign to the sorting area for food donations. Not corporate donation of palates of waters or truck loads of the same cereal. It was the boxes of assorted canned items or boxes of suggested dinners, very lovingly planned out and purchased by individual meaning nothing but to be helpful, nevertheless, each box must contain the same type item. Boxes of corn become a palate of corn; cases of water become a palate of water and so on. So that meant a box containing a jar of cranberry sauce, a can of green beans, can of cream corn, muffin mix, gravy mix, white cake mix, etc. (a complete dinner) had to disassembled. Reason being, when things are requested and shipped out, they are shipped by palates of the same items. It’s the only way mass distribution can take place and supplies can get to the people who prepare the food. It was very frustrating because of the red tape that’s involved in getting packing tape. The government is telling us they will supply tape. Sharpies, among the many other supplies needed in just the one area I’m working with. Yet, 7 days later there are few to no supplies for preparing items for shipping. Volunteers, out of their own pockets and the Red Cross are buying supplies. Now the stores around are running out of supplies. Very unnecessary. So I called my church, West Minster Presbyterian, along with Paul Russ at Hospice and they jumped on it. West Minster sent out a huge box of 100 rolls of tape, etc. and Paul sent out an email to our friend group and they are sending supplies to the Distribution Center. That address is
The American Red Cross
Distribution Center
1100 South Beltline Hwy.
Mobile, Alabama 36609

I would suggest if you want to send anything, send one type. One box of 20, or more, rolls of clear packing tape, packs of wide black sharpies, etc. Mark it “ Packing Supplies” attention Distribution Manager.

I quickly rose to the head of the food assorting distribution area by being named the “most motivated”. I’ve heard that before, it’s code for bossy, but that’s ok. John, a staff member, and I along with 20 high school students hit it hard. The contributions were definitely varied to say the least. People are giving more than I bet they are keeping for their own families. Kay, Cynthia, Greg and I formed an instant bond. The kind you form when your working for the same goal, high pressure and limited time. Well. A 10-hour day seemed to fly by.

It was about time to leave when Greg asked me about the shelter in the area. I told him I wasn’t sure where they all were but there was one near my place. “Why, do we need to drop something off there?” I asked, He replied, “Well, no.” He needed to stay at a shelter. We had all worked together all day and Joe had not mentioned to anyone that for the passed 7 days, since the storm hit, he had been living in his car. His home on the beach, which belonged to a friend from Colorado, had been destroyed. He had been volunteering for 3 days to help the homeless and he had been homeless himself. All he wanted was a shower. It had been several days and he was embarrassed to even ask me if I knew somewhere he could bathe. I offered my place and he finally accepted. I assumed everyone around me would finish their day of helping and return to the comfort and security of a home. I assumed wronged. Greg came back to my place and showered. We sat on the step and chatted awhile. He moved back to the states from Ireland 2 weeks before Katrina hit. He had formed an alliance with some other displaced citizens, mostly the new homeless, where as they have “ Check-in” with each other.

I met people from everyone what of life today. Everyone working to help, any way they could. Tomorrow I may go the Gulfport with a convoy from the Red Cross.
There are Red Cross people here from France, Belguim and England. Thank you for today and the kindness I saw in the faces of so many people. Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment