Friday, July 30, 2010

Friday 9/30 One week out

We are getting pretty excited about our trip to the Gulf of Mexico, MS,AL,FL coasts.

First of all, I'm so grateful to Derek for all his support and efforts in making this trip possible for Elizabeth and I. We live full and abundant lives and it takes an extra effort on the home front when two of the three are away. Thanks Janet at Unity Temple on the Plaza for helping with my blog page, well, for doing my blog page :).

I'd like to share a web address of a musical artist that I love and her words and spirit really hits home with me. www.janastanfield.com Her music has won multiple awards and you my recognize her music from the church/country crowds. Jana lives in Nashville. Jana has ask if Derek and I would create a image library from our journey with Elizabeth in the Gulf so Jana could build a video for one of her songs for Youtube. "If I were Brave" Listen to her video from Carnegie Hall on YouTube. Thanks Jana

On to Gulf news.

Thank you for the emails and call of support and encouragement. We have a few volunteer days set up in the Pensacola area. There is a wildlife refuge that fosters and nurtures some of the recovering oil spill wild animals. I've contacted them about Eliz and I helping for a 2 days. They are checking it out and it looks promising. I'm getting my HASMAT training on Tuesday. It's a basic crash course designed to give practical safe guards, techniques and precautions to people with some existing training. www.hazmatschool.com/ is a good info site.

The age requirements restricts Eliz from working, must be over 18. Very understandable.

Does anyone have contacts at Sprint or Garmin GPS company. Several organizations need devices to help locate, relay to rescuers the exact coordinates of the found animals. What a great opportunity for a communications company to share more than directions to a restaurant. If you know anyone that can help with this need, please email me at daniel@danielwstoner.com. Maybe these items can be loaned or leased at a extremely low rate to these non profits.

I am hoping that we are able to meet up with a biologist in Gulf Shores. Elizabeth wants to be a Vet, most 14 year old girls do, and I want to expose her to the vastness of the field. She has been volunteering at Wayside waifs, a local animal shelter in the Kansas City area. www.waysidewaifs.org. We did an medical foster, a blood hound/English Springer mix. Everything was hound except his color, snow white with liver colored ears. It was hard to return him, until the hound yells in the middle of the night. That helped ease the process.

We are working with Elizabeth's school to communicate what we are doing and allow the summer session kids to follow along. I will most likely make Eliz's blog only accessible to other kids.

One idea Elizabeth and I are working on is the reactions of oil base fluid to various other liquids, primarily water, of varying temperatures. i.e Cold Arctic water vs. warm Gulf water. It's a project she can carry back to school in the Fall and involve others in her science class.

The car is clean and the car carrier is almost ready to go on top.



The recent small storm in the Gulf has given the impression that the oil is reducing. However, many biologist and scientist are reminding us that the very warm Gulf water is allowing the oil to " sink" to a lower concentration level below the visible sea level. Approximately 20ft below sea level, it's a thicker crude oil mixture. I read up on a few if the differences between the dispersion of crude oil in cold Alaskan waters/Valdez spill and the warm Gulf of Mexico waters. The oil stays extremely visible on the surface in cold temperatures verses warmer temperatures.

We are all looking for a resolution/remedy/solution for this environmental disaster however we must hold fast for the long term solutions.

Once again, thanks for being a part of this experience. I, we, welcome your thoughts and expressions. Be Well, Daniel

No comments:

Post a Comment