Thursday, July 29, 2010

REPOST Hurricane Katrina

Tuesday 9/6/05
10:30am

Delta Flight 1650 to Atlanta

I’m now on my way to Mobile, Alabama instead of Biloxi, Miss. I didn’t hear from the Red Cross yesterday so I made alternative plans. I had purchased my ticket last Tuesday into Biloxi however Delta informed me on Sunday that the airport in Gulfport would be closed until 9/12/05. Delta changed my flight into Mobile based on that information. They’ve been so help by communicating with me every change in my flight and having options for me when they call.

My main goal is to help. Part of that help comes from not becoming another mouth to feed, person to house or juggle. I’m working with local agencies as a local volunteer. Clothes that are lightweight, easily cleaned, drip dry are the best. Trust me, it’s OK to stink a little. No one cares.

I went online last night and found small family hotel in Mobile. It has power and some phone service. I contacted the Salvation Army of greater Mobile. Biloxi /Gulfport is 50 miles from Mobile. Mobile has damage but nothing like the Mississippi and Louisiana shoreline.

Sunday I contacted, by email, a small Episcopal Church in Biloxi. I haven’t heard back from them yet. Several of my friends and business associates are interesting in helping. We’re hoping to find a small church or organization for us to focus our ongoing effort on.

I am looking for people to assist, for the long term, while they begin to rebuild their lives.
I believe by forming a relationship and bond with a small group in the region, it will commit us emotionally, physically, spiritually and financially. A connection after they’re out of survival mode. Just a thought at this point, but a good one J

It’s weird to use the word “excited” to describe how I feel right now, but that where I am. I truly love that area of the world and part of me needs to see and feel the loss.
I know I’ll have different adjectives to share once I’m there and the comforts and security of the Atlanta are gone.

I’ve been in Mobile for about 2 hours. The man sitting beside me on the plane offered to give me a ride into Mobile. The are no rental cars available for 30 miles. The downtown area was flooded but the water did recede after only a couple of days. The only people in town are construction workers, police officers, a few business people and the homeless. I found an old Shepard mix dog under a bush at the courthouse. He was exhausted and looks as if he had not eaten in a week. I approached him and he didn’t respond except for moving his eyes. I found a sandwich shop open about four blocks away. Well Sam, his new name, loves him some Subways. I brought him back to my room.

The mood is weirder than the normal weird mood for Mobile. They missed the storm by a hair, and they know it. The storm was too close physically for people to feel that life can go on as normal. They dodged the bullet but the person beside them got it. I made some good connections for work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment